Thursday, September 16, 2010

What a Difference a Diagnosis Makes

ADHD Awareness Week starts on Monday 20th September, and will be launched in WA by LADS (The Learning & Attentional Disorders Society of WA). I will be working with LADS to spread the scientific word about ADHD - talking about research which identifies the risks associated with ADHD and the benefits of early diagnosis and treatment.

Unfortunately, ADHD Awareness Week is also used by the anti-ADHD movement to create alarm in the community and circulate sensational stories with no scientific foundation. It is my sincere wish that the WA public will listen to the voice of reason and ignore the fanatical fringe.

On Monday, I will be presenting my research at LADS. I'm calling my talk 'What a Difference a Diagnosis Makes', and I'll be telling stories from the perspectives of children and adults with ADHD. One thing stands out clearly in my research - the earlier the ADHD diagnosis, the better equipped people are to deal with it.

Also on Monday, there will be an expert panel at LADS, consisting of doctors, psychologists, teachers, a speech therapist, and other allied health professionals. Audience members will have the opportunity to ask them any questions about ADHD. Join us please, for an evening of information based on scientific fact, not alarmist nonsense:

When: Monday 20th Sept at 6:30pm
Where: The Niche, cnr Hospital Ave & Aberdare Rd Nedlands, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment